June 4, 2008

Just Add a Little Ketchup

So, I am tired. Really tired. I think life these last couple weeks has finally caught up to me. And whats sad is the fact that I feel like I have barely accomplished anything...or at least for the amount of time that has passed. There are days I feel like I accomplished quite a bit, and then there are just days that I feel like I did absolutely nothing. But regardless, there is still so much to be done and I feel like I have barely made a dent on it. *sigh*

But just the other day I was reminded how much God uses these times to shape us and show us who he is. I was loading some food onto a shelf so that we could move some shelves into the storage area at the cafe, when suddenly I found myself surrounded by 28 pounds of splattered ketchup. My dad had accidentally put a box where it shouldn't have been, sending the ketchup southward...all on me. While I was a little grossed out, I thought the thing hilarious. However, this changed when I saw my mom. This was now one more thing that she had to deal with. You see, it is a about one week till the opening day and not only are the little things piling up, but random things are not going as planned. I went to the mop sink and hosed off, wanting very much to laugh about the whole thing, but knowing that I couldn't.

We eventually got everything cleaned up, along with the help of the Buren's, who have literally been a godsend these last couple of weeks. But the madness didn't end there. While taking a break my dad yelled for help. Apparently the water heater decided that it wanted to start shooting out flames. We had caught it just in time.

I think when something is about to happen that glorifies God, Satan sneaks his way in and tries to disturb the flow of things for the sole purpose of distraction. If we listen, we lose focus on who is really in charge of things.

So we prayed. All of us.
It was so powerful, that I can't begin to explain it.
And just like that, Satans grip lost his hold.

You see, my ketchup bath actually saved the day. Had my dad not been in the back cleaning up a gooey mess, we would have had a disaster at hand. I love how my God has a sense of humor!

The events that had taken place that night were supposed to serve as distractions, to get our focus off track. But instead, they ended up putting our focus back on the one who started it all.

So to summarize, when you are having one of those days or everything seems to be spinning out of control, don't lose focus. Look up. Pray hard. And don't forget to add a little ketchup :)

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Oh Smash...
This was so what I needed right now :)

p.s. you should have made some fries